Maggot Brain Magazine - Issue 3 by Third Man
For our cover story, we dive into the genesis and continued import of our namesake, with a lengthy feature by Detroit music journo Ana Gavrilovska on the mind-melting fifty year-old Funkadelic masterpiece 'Maggot Brain.’ We also have rare photos of the White Stripes live at Paychecks Lounge in Hamtramck Michigan from 1999 by noted photographer Doug Coombe.There’s a mini-roundtable discussion on gay rights pioneer Morris Knight and San Francisco's brilliant hippie queer activist pranksters the Cockettes and the must see pages with Rachel Leah Gallo's eight-page bio-comic on the delightful and obscure kitchen-folk singer Connie Converse.
• Dynamic photographs by Mike Galinsky from the late 1980s to early 1990s indie/underground music scene.
• RJ Smith dives deep on Fortune Records in a review of the 'Mind Over Matter' book.
• Murat Cem Mengüç documents the impromptu art show that sprung up around the White House at the start of the Black Lives Matter movement.
• Andy Beta on Brazilian composer, anthropologist, and musician Priscilla Ermel's gorgeous work.
• Instagram sensation Tara Booth in an intimate interview with Amy Gillfeather.
• Joshua James Amberson goes deep on poet Lydia Tomkiw and her stunning new wave band Algebra Suicide.
• Michael Gonzales on 1990s neo-soul singer Ephraim Lewis.
• Robert Gordon on Memphis' primitivist aesthete Tav Falco -- an excerpt from the final chapter to 'It Came From Memphis.'
Luc Sante on an unknown 1960s garage rock band! Australia's brilliant Stroppies! Reviews of cassette tapes! Dreams about Sam Elliott! A killer poem written by a fifteen year-old! Fiction by Mairead Case! Art by Nathaniel Russell, Davin Brainard, the Philadelphia Wireman, and Marc Bell! Tweets by John Brannon! Unseen photos of Detroit punk pioneers L-Seven!