Compiled by Gilles Peterson and Stuart Baker - CUBA: Music and Revolution - Culture Clash in Havana: Experiments in Latin Music 1975-1985 - Volume 2 (3LP Vinyl)
The album comes as a heavyweight 3xLP, complete with extensive sleeve notes, and is jam-packed with heavy bass lines, synth and Wah-Wah guitar funk combined with the heavyweight percussion, powerful brass lines and the all-encompassing Latin rhythms of Cuban music known throughout the world.
Much of the music on this album is featured in the deluxe large format book ‘Cuba: Music and Revolution: Original Cover Art of Cuban Music: Record Sleeve Designs of Revolutionary Cuba 1959-90’, released by Soul Jazz Books and also compiled by Gilles Peterson and Stuart Baker (Soul Jazz Records), featuring the music and record designs of Cuba, made in the 30-year period following the Cuban Revolution.
The music on this new album features a host of rarities from legendary Cuban artists such as Los Van Van, alongside Grupo De Experimentación, Farah Maria, Ricardo Eddy Martinez, Juan Pablo Torres, Grupo Sintesis and Orquesta Riverside, most of whose names remain largely unknown outside of Cuba but have long been favourite club tracks and secret-weapons in Gilles Peterson’s record boxes!
The music on this album reflects the most cutting-edge of Cuban groups that were recording in Cuba in the 1970s and 1980s – all searching for a new Cuban identity and new musical forms reflecting both the Afro-Cuban cultural heritage of a nation that gave birth to Latin music and its new position as a socialist state. Most of the music featured on this album has never been heard outside of Cuba.
Both Gilles Peterson and Stuart Baker have been involved in Cuban music for more than two decades – Gilles Peterson with his many Havana Cultura projects for his Brownswood label and Stuart Baker with a number of Soul Jazz Records albums recorded in Cuba. This Soul Jazz Records album is released in conjunction with Egrem, the Cuban state record company, and has been put together after the many crate-digging trips that both compilers have made on the streets of Havana and beyond in Cuba stretching over a 20-year period, searching out rare and elusive original Cuban vinyl records.
1. Juan Pablo Torres Y Algo Nuevo – Y Que Bien
2. Orquesta Los Van Van – Por Que Lo Haces
3. Los Latinos – Quemando
4. Farah María – Amame y No Pienses Mas
5. FA 5 – Muevete Con Las Fuerzas Del Corazon
6. Tambores De Enrique Bonne – Como Arrullos De Palma
7. Ricardo Eddy Martinez – Expreso Ritmico
8. Los Papines – Solo De Tumba y Bongo
9. Grupo Sintesis – Aqui Estamos
10. Los Van Van – Llegada
11. Grupo Raices Nuevas – Baila Mi Guaguancó
12. Luis Carbonell – La Rumba
13. Orquesta Riverside – En Casa Del Trompo No Bailes
14. Juan Formel & Los Van Van – Llegue, Llegue
15. Grupo Los Yoyi – Tu No Me Puedes Conquistar
16. Los Papines – Para Que Niegas ?
17. Grupo De Experimentación Sonora Del ICAIC – ¡ Cuba Va !
18. Raul Gomez – Luces En La Pista
19. Los Brito – El 4-5-6
20. Leo Brouwer – Tema de El Rancheador De La Naturaleza
21. Ricardo Eddy Martinez – La 132
22. Los Reyes 73 – Finalizo Un Amor
$10 postage. Free shipping on orders over $150.
* Our Collingwood shop has large selection of vinyl with over 1,000 titles to choose from.